CALL FOR PAPERS
Quṭb al-Dīn al-Rāzī is an eminent figure of the fourteenth century philosophy and commentary tradition in Islamic world. Along with the commentators of this century such as Allāma Ḥillī, Sa‘d al-Dīn al-Taftāzānī, Sayyid Sharīf al-Jurjānī, Ibn Mubārakshāh al-Bukhārī and Quṭb al-Dīn al-Rāzī, history of Islamic philosophy witnessed a new phase that can be called as the formation of interpretative classics.
Quṭb al-Dīn al-Rāzī’s works in logic such as Taḥrīru qawā’id al-manṭiqiyya and Lawāmi‘ al-asrār and in philosophy such as al-Muḥakamāt bayna sharḥay al-Ishārāt had affected the later period of Islamic philosophy, in terms of methodology and problematics. He provided a strong and an effective answer on how the second classics of Islamic thought should be understood and this answer determined the way the next generation of scholars understood these texts.
Moreover, his treatises titled Risāla fi taḥqīq al-kulliyāt and Risālat al-ma‘mūla fī al-tasawwur wa al-taṣdīq established a strong tradition of discussions on the problems of universals, predication, definition, as well as on the concept of nafs al-amr. In this regard, Qutb al-Din al-Rāzī is among those who provide a historical transition in logic, linguistic sciences and Quranic exegesis from the thirteenth century period of second classics into the era of interpretative classics.
Nazariyat is preparing for a special issue on Qutb al-Din al-Razi, which will be published in November 2019 and invites experts for their valuable contributions to this special issue.
Submission due date: July 20, 2019.
Ömer Türker, Prof. Marmara University
Sümeyye Parıldar, Assist. Prof., Istanbul University
- Recommended Topics
• The intellectual biography and prosopography of Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī
• The role of Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī in the formation of logico-philosophical tradition of post-classical period.
• The reception of Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī by his commentators
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī as a commentator of al-Ishārāt
• The al-Muḥakamāt Literature
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī on the problem of universals
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī on nafs al-amr
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī on mental existence
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī on definition
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī on modality
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī and Shamsiyya Commentaries
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī and Lawāmi‘ al-asrār
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī as a commentator of Al-Kashshāf
• Quṭb al- Dīn al-Rāzī as a commentator of Miftaḥ
Researchers are invited to submit their original articles, 5.000 – 10.000 words in length. Please ensure that you consult the journal’s guidelines for authors at https://www.nazariyat.org/en/nc/na prior to submission. All manuscripts should be submitted through the online submission manager at https://www.nazariyat.org/en/submission.